This dish has aesthetic written all over it, we know it tastes just as good as it looks. The bite of the freekeh will come through the roasted veggies to accompany the dark and rich Aussie spiced chicken. Toss through spinach to create a pop of fresh green then serve with a dollop of yoghurt. We know it looks amazing but don’t forget to dig in before it’s all gone!
This recipe is under 650kcal per serving.
The recent wet and cold weather across New Zealand has impacted our regular supply of fresh ingredients and as such, what you receive may be slightly different to what’s pictured. Don’t worry, your recipe will be just as delicious!
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.co.nz/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed
roasted almonds(ContainsTree NutsMay be presentGluten, Peanuts, Sesame, Milk, Soy)
baby spinach leaves
zesty chilli salt
Aussie spice blend
• Preheat oven to 240°C/220°C fan-forced. • In a large saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Toast freekeh, stirring occasionally, until golden, 1-2 minutes. • Half-fill the saucepan with water, then add a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer freekeh, uncovered, until tender, 30-35 minutes. • Drain, rinse and return to pan. Cover to keep warm.
TIP: The freekeh is cooked when it has softened but still retains some bite.
• Meanwhile, cut carrot into bite-sized chunks. Cut beetroot into small chunks. Thinly slice leek. • Place veggies on a lined oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and toss to coat. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes.
TIP: Beetroot stays firm when cooked. It's done when you can pierce it with a fork.
• Meanwhile roughly chop roasted almonds. • Place your hand flat on top of chicken breast and slice through horizontally to make two thin steaks. • In a medium bowl, combine chicken, Aussie spice blend, a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
• In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until cooked through, 3-5 minutes each side (cook in batches if your pan is getting crowded).
TIP: The chicken is cooked when it is no longer pink inside.
TIP: The spice blend will char slightly in the pan, this adds to the flavour!
• When the veggies are done, transfer them to the saucepan with freekeh. Add baby spinach leaves, the honey, zesty chilli salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Season to taste and stir to combine.
• Slice spiced chicken. • Divide honey roasted veggie freekeh between bowls. Top with chicken. • Garnish with roasted almonds. Serve with Greek-style yoghurt. Enjoy!