Middle-Eastern Coconut Chicken & Lentil Soup
with Veggies, Flatbreads & Flaked Almonds
Let’s soup-up this version of a lentil soup. We’re buffing it out with mild spices to bring a zap to the coconut and tomato base. There are roasted veggies and chicken stirred through to bulk it out and serve up with a side of flatbreads for dipping. It’s a powerhouse soup that will be loved by everyone.
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.co.nz/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed
(Contains Tree Nuts; May be present Gluten, Peanuts, Sesame, milk, Soy. )
chermoula spice blend
Crushed & Sieved Tomatoes
vegetable stock powder
(May be present Gluten. )
(Contains Gluten, Soy; May be present traces of egg, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sesame, milk. )
baby spinach leaves
Not included in your delivery
• Preheat oven to 240°C/220°C fan-forced. • Cut carrot and white turnip into bite-sized chunks. • Place veggies on a lined oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and toss to coat. Spread out evenly, then roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.
• While the veggies are roasting, finely chop garlic. Cut chicken breast into 2cm chunks. • Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Toast flaked almonds, tossing, until toasted, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
• In a medium saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and chermoula spice blend, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. • Add crushed & sieved tomatoes (see ingredients), coconut milk, vegetable stock powder, the water, red lentils and the brown sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have softened, 20-22 minutes.
• When the soup has 5 minutes cook time remaining, return the frying pan to medium-high heat. • Drizzle (or brush) each flatbread with olive oil. Cook flatbreads in pan until golden and warmed through, 1-2 minutes each side. • Return frying pan to high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. When oil is hot, cook chicken, tossing occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 5-6 minutes.
• Remove saucepan from the heat, add baby spinach leaves, chicken and the roasted veggies. Stir until wilted and season to taste.
TIP: Add an extra dash of water to your soup if you prefer a thinner consistency.
• Divide Middle Eastern coconut chicken and veggie lentil soup between bowls. • Top with toasted almonds. Serve with flatbreads. Enjoy!