Salt & Pepper Beef
with Garlic Rice, Honey-Soy Veggies & Japanese Mayo
Watch out salt and pepper squid, because our beef version is going to steal even your biggest fans! With all the spicy flavour, but pan-fried instead of deep-fried, this is a quick and easy dinner that's going to blow your mind.
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.co.nz/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed
(May be present Gluten, milk, Peanuts, Sesame, Soy, Tree Nuts. )
(Contains Egg; )
(Contains Sesame, Soy; )
Thai Seven Spice Blend
(Contains Milk; )
Not included in your delivery
(Contains Milk; )
(Contains Gluten, Soy; )
(Contains Gluten; )
• Finely chop garlic. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Cook garlic until fragrant, 1 minute. • Add jasmine rice, the water and a pinch of salt, stir, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. • Cook for 12 minutes, then remove from heat and keep covered until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don't peek!
• Meanwhile, thinly slice carrot into half-moons. Roughly chop Asian greens. • In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce and honey. Set aside. • In a second small bowl, combine Japanese dressing and mayonnaise. Set aside.
• In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook carrot, tossing, until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add Asian greens and cook until wilted, 1 minute. • Add the honey-soy mixture and cook until bubbling, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
TIP: Add a dash of water to the veggies to help speed up the cooking process.
• While the veggies are cooking, crush black peppercorns (see ingredients) with a mortar and pestle or in their sachet using a rolling pin. Discard liquid from beef strip packaging. • In a medium bowl, combine the salt, crushed peppercorns, Thai seven spice blend and the plain flour. Add beef and toss to coat.
• Wash and dry the frying pan, then return to high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. • When oil is hot, pick up beef using tongs and shake off any excess flour back into the bowl. • Cook beef strips in batches, tossing, until browned and cooked through, 1-2 minutes.
TIP: Add a drizzle more oil if necessary!
• Divide garlic rice between bowls. Top with honey-soy veggies and salt and pepper beef. • Garnish with crispy shallots. Serve with Japanese mayo. Enjoy!