You’ll be off to visit your happy place when you get a taste of this dish. Sweet with a touch of salt, that’s how we’re cooking up the tofu tonight, with a deliciously decadent plum sauce and a buttery garlic rice with veggies to finish it off, we wish you safe travels to bliss.
The recent wet and cold weather across New Zealand has impacted our regular supply of fresh ingredients and as such, what you receive may be slightly different to what’s pictured. Don’t worry, your recipe will be just as delicious!
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.co.nz/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed
jasmine rice(May be presentGluten, Milk, Peanuts, Sesame, Soy, Tree Nuts)
firm tofu(ContainsSoyMay be presentGluten, Milk, Peanuts, Sesame, Tree Nuts, Egg)
Southeast Asian spice blend
cornflour(May be presentGluten, Milk, Peanuts, Sesame, Soy, Tree Nuts)
rice wine vinegar
• Finely chop garlic. • In a medium saucepan, heat plant-based butter with a dash of olive oil over medium heat. Cook 1/2 the garlic until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. • Add the water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to the boil. • Add jasmine rice, stir, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 12 minutes, then remove from heat and keep covered until rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don't peek!
• Meanwhile, thinly slice carrot into sticks. Roughly chop Asian greens. Pat dry firm tofu and cut into bite-sized chunks.
• In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over high heat. Cook carrot until tender, 3-4 minutes. • Add Asian greens and remaining garlic and cook until just wilted, 1-2 minutes. Season to taste. • Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with rice wine vinegar and cover to keep warm.
TIP: Add a dash of water to the veggies to help speed up the cooking process.
• In a large bowl, combine Southeast Asian spice blend, cornflour (see ingredients) and a pinch of salt and pepper. • Add tofu and gently toss to coat.
• Return pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. When oil is hot, pick up tofu using tongs and shake off any excess flour. Cook tofu, tossing occasionally, until browned and warmed through, 3-5 minutes. • In last minute of cook time, add a pinch of chilli flakes (if using) and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. • Remove pan from heat, add plum sauce and a splash of water. Gently toss until combined.
TIP: Add a drizzle more olive oil if necessary!
• Divide garlic rice between bowls. Top with veggies and sweet-soy tofu. • Spoon over any remaining plum sauce from pan. • Garnish with crispy shallots. Serve with plant-based aioli. Enjoy