Saucy Veggie Mince & Filo Pastry Pie
with Caramelised Onion
It’s pie time, but with a new twist to brighten up this classic. The veggie mince is cooked into a tomato filling, packed with beloved veggies like leek. The real surprise, which may be the best one a pie has ever seen, is the sweet and sticky caramelised onions stirred through the filling.
This recipe is under 650kcal per serving.
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.co.nz/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed
(Contains Soy; )
(May be present traces of egg, milk, Gluten, Soy, Fish, Sesame, Tree Nuts. )
baby spinach leaves
(Contains Gluten; )
All-American spice blend
Not included in your delivery
• Preheat oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan-forced. • Thinly slice leek and onion. Grate the carrot.
Little cooks: Under adult supervision, older kids can help grate the carrot.
• In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. • Cook onion, stirring, until softened, 5-6 minutes. • Reduce heat to medium. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and a splash of water and mix well. Cook until dark and sticky, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
• Return the frying pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook leek and carrot until tender, 3-4 minutes. • Add plant-based mince and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until just browned, 4-5 minutes.
• Add All-American spice blend (see ingredients), tomato paste and garlic paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. • Add the water and cook until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. • Remove pan from heat and stir through baby spinach leaves and caramelised onion.
• Transfer veggie mince filling to a baking dish. • Lightly scrunch each sheet of filo pastry and place on top of veggie mince mixture to completely cover. • Gently brush or spray pastry with olive oil. Bake pie until pastry is golden, 20-25 minutes.
• Divide saucy veggie mince and caramelised onion filo pie between plates. Enjoy!