There’s something decadent about the eggplant, especially when roasted so this Bengal curry will feel like a special treat. Add more veggies to the eggplant and cook them with punchy mustard seeds. The fluffy rice will melt in your mouth as you dig into this curry. We’ll see you at the bottom of the bowl!
The recent wet and cold weather across New Zealand has impacted our regular supply of fresh ingredients and as such, what you receive may be slightly different to what’s pictured. Don’t worry, your recipe will be just as delicious!
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.co.nz/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed
basmati rice(May be presentGluten, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sesame, Milk, Soy)
brown mustard seeds
Bengal curry paste
• Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. • Cut eggplant into 1cm chunks. • Place eggplant on a lined oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and toss to coat. Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add the water and bring to the boil. • Add basmati rice, stir, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. • Cook for 10 minutes, then remove pan from heat and keep covered until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 10 minutes.
TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don't peek!
• While the rice is cooking, finely chop onion and garlic. Thinly slice carrot into half-moons. Roughly chop Asian greens.
• When the eggplant has 10 minutes remaining, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook onion, carrot and brown mustard seeds, stirring, until softened, 3-4 minutes. • Add garlic and Bengal curry paste and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
• Add coconut milk to the frying pan and stir to combine. Simmer until thickened slightly, 3-4 minutes. • Stir through the roasted eggplant and Asian greens until just wilted, 1 minute. Season generously to taste.
• Divide basmati rice between bowls and top with roasted eggplant Bengal curry. • Garnish with crushed peanuts. Enjoy!