Seared Chicken & Katsu Sauce
with Sweetcorn Rice & Creamy Slaw
Let’s introduce the star of tonight’s dinner, katsu sauce, perfect for drizzling over these golden and seared chicken bites and soaking into the popping sweetcorn rice.
Always read product labels for the most up-to-date allergen information. Visit hellofresh.co.nz/foodinfo for allergen and ingredient information. If you have received a substitute ingredient, please be aware allergens may have changed
(May be present Gluten, traces of egg, Fish, milk, Sesame, Soy, Tree Nuts. )
Asian Slaw Mix
Not included in your delivery
(Contains Sesame; )
water (for the rice)
water (for the sauce)
vinegar (rice wine or white wine)
• Finely chop garlic. Drain the sweetcorn. • In a medium saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Cook garlic and sweetcorn until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
• Add basmati rice, water (for the rice) and a generous pinch of salt, stir, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. • Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and keep covered until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 10 minutes.
TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don't peek!
• When the rice has 10 minutes remaining, cut chicken breast into 2cm chunks. • In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over high heat. When oil is hot, cook chicken, tossing occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
TIP: Chicken is cooked through when it's no longer pink inside.
• Wipe out the frying pan, then return to medium heat. Cook katsu paste, the brown sugar, water (for the sauce) and plant-based butter, stirring, until slightly reduced, 1-2 minutes.
• Meanwhile, combine Asian slaw mix, plant-based mayo, the sesame oil and a drizzle of vinegar in a medium bowl. Season to taste.
• Divide corn rice and sesame slaw between bowls. Top with seared chicken and katsu sauce. • Garnish with crispy shallots to serve. Enjoy!